Pages

Saturday, January 22, 2011

One Recipe Three Ways . . . So Far

One day, I decided to make pizza for the kids for lunch. But I needed a quick pizza dough recipe. Is there such a thing? Why, yes, there is. The recipe can be found here. I was amazed by how this recipe turned out. However, far be it from me to leave a recipe alone. I mean, I cannot simply allow myself to make recipe after recipe only using white flour. So I have made this recipe substituting all the flour with white wheat, I have also cheated from time to time and only substituted a portion with white wheat flour. (NOTE: I do add an additional 1/4 tsp. of yeast when I use the white wheat flour.)

Imagine my absolute joy the morning I decided I wanted cinnamon rolls, but did not want to wait the 2 to 3 hours it would have taken to make them. I added more sugar to the recipe (and used the aforementioned white wheat flour), rolled the dough out, sprinkled with cinnamon and brown sugar. Viola, cinnamon rolls!

Tonight, I made pigs-in-a-blanket, but I didn't start early enough to make the usual recipe. What to do? Turn to the miracle recipe. This time I had to make a few more changes:

Quick and Easy Crescent Rolls

1/4 cup warm water (110º-115º)
1 tsp. sugar
2-1/2 tsp. yeast
1 egg, beaten
3/4 cup warm milk (110º-115º)
1 Tbs. sugar
2 cups white wheat flour
2 Tbs. oil (I used olive oil)
1 tsp. salt
Unbleached white flour as needed.

Combine water and 1 teaspoon sugar. Sprinkle yeast over water and allow to sit until frothy (5 to 10 minutes).

In mixer bowl, combine beaten egg and warmed milk. Do this slowly so you do not have any curdling. Add sugar, yeast mixture, white wheat flour, oil and salt. Using dough hook, start to mix. Add unbleached white flour as needed until dough forms a ball and cleans the bowl. Allow to knead for 8 minutes.

Let rise for 15 minutes (I have even let this go for an hour before with no problems).

Preheat oven to 400º. Divide dough in half. Roll one half into a circle. Cut into eight wedges and roll up from wide end. Repeat with other half of dough. Place rolls on a parchment lined cookie sheet. Bake for 15 minutes.
--------------------------------------------------------
If you are using this for pigs-in-a-blanket, roll your hot dog up into the crescent roll when you are forming them.

Hip, hip, hooray for recipes that work!

No comments:

Post a Comment