Pages

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Convenient, Made-From-Scratch Pumpkin Muffins

Did anyone else just feel the earth just shake? O.K., O.K. so I had an "aha" moment. For years I could never figure out why anyone would want to buy convenience mixes in the store. It really doesn't take that much extra work to make stuff from scratch. And, besides, homemade tastes WAAAAY better. Also, I couldn't figure out why anyone would make up their own mixes. See extra work reasoning above. However, when we went away in December, I did make up some of my own mixes, because, face it, who wants to get a divorce over something like, "But, honey, I NEED to take the canisters of flour and sugar." I did not, however, use all my mixes on that trip.

But tonight. TONIGHT! I made from scratch pumpkin muffins after I got home at 8:45, and in less than an hour after arriving home, I was pulling those muffins from the oven. I am now a convenient, made-from-scratch mix believer.

Here's my recipe:

Measure into a quart-size ziploc bag:
1 cup oatmeal, ground
1 cup white wheat flour (this is a milder whole wheat flour)
1 cup brown sugar
1 tsp. salt
2 tsp. ground nutmeg
2 tsp. ground cinnamon
2 tsp. baking powder

When ready to bake--
Combine in a small bowl, mixing well:
3 eggs, beaten
2/3 cup vegetable oil
1 small can pumpkin

Preheat oven to 350ยบ. Pour dry mixture into a medium sized bowl and mix well. Stir in pumpkin mixture with a light hand--just to moisten dry ingredients. Scoop into greased muffin tins (or muffin liners). Bake for 25 to 30 minutes.

Enjoy! (BTW, we love pumpkin muffins no matter the time of year.)

No comments:

Post a Comment