Pages

Tuesday, October 4, 2011

When life gives you bland bread make . . . fritatta

Did you know that yeast breads need salt? It's true. Salt in your yeast breads help keep the yeast from going crazy. See, yeast thinks itself to be big and bad and wants to make your bread rise and rise and rise. However, the flour can only take so much of yeast's big bad self. Salt to the rescue. Salt keeps the yeast from just going nuts by making him slow down and give a nice steady rise to the bread. What happens when salt gets left out of the party? Mr. Yeast goes nuts! He makes the bread rise like crazy then Mr. Flour says, "Enough is enough!" and pulls him back. The result is a terrible, terrible looking loaf of bread.

So, guess who forgot the salt in the yeast bread today? Yup. That would be me. I made wonderful dough and rolled it out. I sprinkled one loaf with cinnamon sugar and the other with mozzarella and garlic powder. All of our mouths were watering. But something was terribly wrong. When I went to put the loaves in the oven to bake they looked really weird--like they didn't rise all that well. Once they were out of the oven and I sliced into them, I quickly discovered the reason--NO SALT!!!

O.K., so it wasn't the bread's fault. It deserved to be eaten. So what's a airhead baker to do? Change dinner plans.

On the menu was a fritatta. The base was supposed to be diced potatoes, but I am nothing if not versatile. I changed out the potatoes with bread cubes.

Grilled Zucchini and Ham Fritatta

Layer in a 9"x13" pan:
*Bread cubes--Enough to cover the bottom of the pan. This took just about my whole homemade loaf.
*Grilled zucchini--I diced up 5 zucchini, drizzled them with olive oil and salt and threw them in my grill pan on the grill. Can I just say, "YUM, YUM, YUM!!!!"
*Diced ham--Amount to your liking
Scramble:
*1 dozen eggs--I made these like our family makes scrambled eggs. We use water, garlic powder, salt and pepper. This time I threw in dried basil because that is my herb of choice and dried oregano because that is my budding chef boy's herb of choice.

Pour eggs over bread, zucchini and ham. Pop into a 350ยบ oven for 35 minutes or until eggs are set.

No comments:

Post a Comment