Pages

Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Books I Enjoy - Day 2 "Farmer Boy"




Yes, I know, this is a children's book; however, I think this is one of the books that has had the most impact on me. (Not including the Bible, but I hardly think the Bible can be categorized here.)

If you homeschool, you have probably heard of "living books". Living books are wonderful. They engage the reader in a story yet impart so much knowledge. Farmer Boy did that for me. There have been countless times I have remembered some tidbit from the book and have used that information in my daily life. Even now, as an adult. The Wilder family worked hard, yet enjoyed life.

If you know anything about Laura Ingalls Wilder, you know that Farmer Boy is just one book in her Little House on the Prairie series. All of those books are living books and they all have had a huge impact on me. I grew up without television, so the television show Little House on the Prairie was not a big part of my life; I got my information from the books. While I read and re-read and re-re-read all of those books, Farmer Boy remains my favorite. When I introduced my children to the series, this was the book we started with.

If you have read this book before, read it again. If you have never read it, please do so. Please, please introduce it to your children. Work was hard, but times were simpler, and we can all use a little simplicity in our lives, can't we?

3 comments:

  1. I was just thinking last night that I wanted to reread the Little House books. How funny!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read the first few books to my kids (including Farmer Boy ) and then this summer I realized I had not even read the whole series myself. I'm a huge reader so I was kind of surprised to think I had never read a couple of the books. I can now say I've completed the whole series, though!

    ReplyDelete