Pages

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Ahhh . . . homemade



I love to make food from scratch. I made yogurt for several years, then burned out on it and started buying it again. However, price drove me to make my own again last night. I am SO GLAD I did!!!. I added powdered milk this time, something I hadn't done in the past. And it is definitely firmer. I just feel so good about feeding my family made from scratch goodness.

So that brings me to my current post. I live down the street from a day old bread store. It is an Oroweat store, so the bread is not full of junk like high fructose corn syrup and partially hydrogenated oils--not a bad deal. But here's the thing . . . the bread just didn't smell right to me. It had a sour smell. Not the good kind of sourdough smell, but a smell that made me wonder if it was o.k. to eat. So I started back making my own bread. It tastes so much better. DH was not too happy only because of the size--the loaves tend to be on the short side. Of course, that can be solved by making the recipe bigger to make bigger loaves. Ah, the problem: my KitchenAid does not handle the larger amount of dough very well. I have the 4-1/2 quart model. I LOVE my KitchenAid. But from necessity, I have started looking for another mixer. KitchenAid does make a 6 quart model, but still I wonder if it will be powerful enough for my whole wheat flax seed bread. Enter the Bosch mixer. Ahhh, now THERE is a mixer! It claims to be able to handle 15 pounds of dough. That's a LOT of dough, but for, well, a lot of dough. Hmm, what to do.

Yes, yes, I could make bread the old-fashioned way--kneading it by hand. That was nice BC/BH (before children/before homeschool). Now I have the opportunity to make the most of my time while feeding my family with the most nutritious food I can. Kneading bread does not lend itself to maximizing time.

Disclaimer: This is not a post of complaint. It is simply musing in type.

4 comments:

  1. Oh I have so many questions for you! Is it cheaper to make your own yogurt? Does it call for any special ingredients? will you share your yogurt/bread recipes? We are daily yogurt eaters over here but I hate all the artificial sweeteners they put in it and am trying to reduce our sugar intake. We also make all our own bread but I'm kind of getting bored with my regular recipe and would love a new yummy bread recipe to try out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will be happy to share! And, yes, it is cheaper to make your own yogurt. No special equipment really. We will talk!

    ReplyDelete
  3. great post!
    Also, thank you for commenting on my site! I will definitely have to try that cream cheese trick with the crescent rolls!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome!! Thanks for sharing your recipe and for the tutorial on making it without a yogurt maker. Love it.

    ReplyDelete